20 Facts You Didn’t Know About J Balvin: The Man Behind “Mi Gente”Posted on August 9, 2017
Alright, alright, alright. You’ve heard the hit track, and not only have you heard it but, we all know you’ve had it on repeat!! We also know you’ve tried (successfully or unsuccessfully) to belt out the lyrics, and have had major dance parties (solo or in a group) to it. You already know what track we’re talking about. It’s the HOT Latin track that the ENTIRE world is talking about right now, “Mi Gente” by J Balvin ft. Willy Williams.
J Balvin – “Mi Gente”
While you may know the song, how much do you really know about the artist, J Balvin? If you answered “not much”, we’ve got you covered! And if you answered “a lot”, we’re sure that there is at least one fact in this list that will be new information to you. Read on to find out!
1. His full name is Jose Alvaro Osorio Balvin.
2. He was born in Colombia.
3. He moved to the United States with his best friend, at the age of 17, where he learned how to speak English.
4. He is currently 32 years old but started making music at the age of 14.
5. His genre of music is classified as Reggaeton/Latin pop.
6. His song “Ay Vamos” hit #1 on Billboard’s Hot Latin Songs chart.
7. A remix of “Ay Vamos” by French Montana & Nicky Jam was featured on the soundtrack for Furious 7.
8. He has accumulated over one billion total views on YouTube (with over one billion of those total views belonging solely to the video for “Ay Vamos”) — can you tell this was a hit?
9. He has been featured on tracks with Ariana Grande, Maroon 5 and Robin Thicke, among others.
10. He has gone on tour with Pitbull & Enrique Iglesias.
11. In 2017, he won an iHeartRadio music award for Latin Album Of The Year for Energia.
12. Billboard has named him the “greatest discovery of Latin music in many years”.
13. His biggest inspirations are Daddy Yankee and Drake.
14. Remember the Snapchat filter below? “Mi Gente” was actually the song you could hear playing if you had your sound on!
15. His goal is to take Latin music to another level, and to make it known and loved worldwide (we think he’s on the right track, wouldn’t you agree?)
16. He created the only official “Sorry” remix released, to which he said, came about with Justin Bieber’s crew in an organic fashion.
17. He was an independent artist for eight years and acted as his own manager, before he got signed by a label.
18. He wants to be successful, not famous.
19. His dream is to collaborate with Rihanna and/or Drake, and have them “come to the [Latin] world”.
20. He is not only grateful for the big things in life, but is grateful for the small ones as well, and appreciates everything that comes his way.
Did you enjoy learning more about J Balvin? Let us know by commenting/reacting below, or tweeting us @umusic! 🙂